New Medicare cards are coming
Medicare will mail new Medicare cards between April 2018 and April 2019. The new card will have a new Medicare Number that’s unique to each medicare recipient, instead of their Social Security Number. This will help to protect their identity. See an example of the new Medicare card.
Things to know about the new Medicare card
- The new card will automatically come. They don’t need to do anything.
- Their Medicare coverage and benefits will stay the same.
- Their new card is free – there’s no charge for it.
A Few Points to Pass Along to Your Medicare Customers:
Watch out for scams
Medicare will never ask you to give us personal or private information to get your new Medicare Number and card. Scam artists may try to get personal information (like your current Medicare Number) by contacting you about your new card. If someone asks you for your information, for money, or threatens to cancel your health benefits if you don’t share your personal information, hang up and call us at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). Learn more about the limited situations in which Medicare can call you.
How can I replace my Medicare card?
If your Medicare card is lost, stolen or damaged, you can ask Social Security for a new one.
- Your Medicare card will arrive in the mail in about 30 days.
- Social Security will mail your card to the address they have on file for you.
- If you need proof that you have Medicare sooner than 30 days, you can request a letter from Social Security. The letter will arrive in the mail in about 10 days.
- If you need proof immediately for your doctor or for a prescription, visit your local Social Security office.
Medicare uses the name and address you have on file with Social Security. To change your name and/or address, visit your online my Social Security account.
Comments are closed.